Pre-Award Questions

What is the Resource Allocation Program (RAP)?

The Resource Allocation Program (RAP) is a campus-wide umbrella organization that allows researchers to apply for intramural funding opportunities at UCSF. RAP brings together multiple intramural funding sources and mechanisms under one program. Under RAP, awarded applications are funded by each of the funding agencies separately.

What is the difference between the Request for Application (RFA) and the Deadline?

The RFA Request for Applications or Call for Applications indicates when the competition begins. You can start submitting your application. The RAP website goes live with all the updates for the cycle. The deadline is when the competition ends.

Can I submit two applications through RAP?


Check the Submission Rules page on the RAP website.

Who can sign the letter of support?

The Department Chair, Vice Chair or Division Chief can all sign as they would be in a position to verify space and time commitment.

Is the page limit for NIH bio-sketches four pages total for all investigators or for each one?

Each investigator may have up to four pages.

May I submit as a PI for one proposal while being listed as a co-investigator on a different proposal during the same cycle?


If a grant mechanism mentions a percentage of active time committed to research, does that mean research in general or research on that particular project?

That percentage refers to research in general.

For the Shared Technology Award, can two PIs write two separate proposals for the exact same piece of equipment?

No, only one proposal can be submitted for a piece of equipment. RAP would just ask that one be the co-investigator on the other's application.

Can RAP fund only 1 year of a project that will likely take a few years to complete?

The budget should be for one year. The proposed science should describe a project which will likely be completed in one year. However, it is useful to the committee to understand the longer term plans for the project. The committee does want to see that the applicant is not overly ambitious for one year.

Eligibility Questions

I am a researcher here at UCSF and my Assistant Professor status is pending. Can I get a P.I. waiver and apply with P.I. status?

No. Eligibility requirements need to be met as of date of submission. No waivers are allowed.

I am a research specialist. For which awards am I eligible?


It is specified in each grant 'Eligibility' section if Specialists are eligible.


Can Professional Research Series Members apply?


For almost all grants the answer is yes. Exclusions are listed in each grant 'Eligibility' section.


I am a UCSF faculty but my salary is paid by the VAMC, do I qualify?

Yes, you qualify.

Are researchers in the Professional Research series eligible for the Family Support Award?

No, these awards are for faculty only.

Can a resident be a co-investigator?


Budget Questions

Does the amount awarded represent direct costs only or does it include indirect costs?

Awards are for direct costs only.

Is there a limit to salary support effort I can include in my request?

The request for salary support should be clearly justified and proportionate to the effort on the project. Generally speaking 10% is considered fine and acceptable. If you need to request more make sure it's very well justified. The request for salary support will be considered during proposal review.

PI salary is allowable. What about the co-PI salary - is that allowable as well?

Salary for other faculty collaborators is allowable but should be clearly justified. The Agencies prefer to fund actual direct research costs rather than faculty salaries. Justifications of requests are considered during the proposal review.

Can a co-investigator request salary support?


Can membership fees to institutions such as the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM) or the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) be charged to the grant?

No, memberships in societies are not allowable for RAP proposals. Generally speaking, only costs associated with the actual research are allowed.

Can I use funds to conduct work in other countries?

Please clearly justify use of funds in your budget. Some agencies have rules against funding activities outside of the US, but not all.

Post-Award Questions

When will I be notified of approval or denial of an award?

As soon as funding decisions are made, approximately four months after the Call for Applications. The website indicates the months in which award notifications are made. All applicants will be notified (either funded or not funded).

Will I receive written reviews?

Yes. All applicants will receive written critiques at the end of each funding cycle.

Will I receive the score?


Can I contact the reviewers to dispute my critiques?

No, this is not an option. 

How many resubmissions are allowed?

RAP allows two resubmissions of the same proposal, but the second one is by invitation only.

Can I carry forward funds?

Carry forward allowances are at the discretion of each funding agency. You will need to check with the staff representative managing awards from your funding agency. Please note that CTSI Pilot funded awards do not allow carry forwards.

If I leave UCSF can I keep the awarded money?

No. Changes in status must be communicated to the funding agency and RAP manager. Funding generally stays within the institution.

If I am awarded by a funding agency outside of RAP for the same proposal can I accept both?

This will be decided on a case-by-case basis by individual funding agencies. You are required to notify the funding agency of overlapping funding from other sources. 

REAC Questions

Are graduate student stipends allowable on a REAC budget?

The REAC and RAP Committees will consider graduate student stipends in the same category as post-doc and research support staff, and are thus allowable.